Hey everyone! Are you ready for some delicious food this Thanksgiving? Whether you have it all planned out or you’re still looking for ideas, we’ve got a great idea for you! The holidays are about to start, with Thanksgiving leading the way! I thought today would be a good time to check out some delicious recipes, and this one just caught my eye, and my taste buds! It’s vegan, so you’re sure to please your hipster daughter just as much as your elderly aunt! 😉
Vegan Butternut Squash & Mushroom Tart
Courtesy of The Tomato Tart!
PASTRY CRUST INGREDIENTS
1¼ cup organic whole grain pastry flour chilled
- ¼ cup vegan butter cubed and chilled in the freezer for at least 15 minutes
- ¼ cup non hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
INGREDIENTS: BUTTERNUT SQUASH CUSTARD
- 1 medium sized butternut squash about 2.5 lbs should get 3 cups diced squash
- 1 cup silken tofu (well drained)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- fresh whole nutmeg to taste
INGREDIENTS: MUSHROOMS in MAPLE SAGE BROWN BUTTER GRAVY
- ½ lb chanterelles diced
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms diced
- 1 oz dried chanterelles (rehydrated, drained, & diced)
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- ½ cup mushroom broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ciopollini onions diced (or shallots)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 10+ sage leaves
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- warm water
VEGAN PASTRY CRUST INSTRUCTIONS
- In the Food Processor pulse flour, fat, and salt 6-8 times until mixture resembles coarse corn meal with pea sized fat balls.
- Pulse in the iced liquid a bit at tbsp at a time until the dough comes together at the center of the bowl.
- Put dough on a floured work surface and form into a ball with your hands then press into a fat disc.
- Wrap in plastic then chill for at least one hour and up to two days.
- Roll pastry out onto a floured surface into the proper shape for your tart tin.
- Carefully place dough into lightly greased tart tin pressing gently to fit into the corners and creases and trim excess from edges.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Place tart tin and dough in the freezer for at least 45 minutes- do not think that you can skip this step or you will face embarrassing shrinkage. Remember what happened to George Costanza when he tried to explain shrinkage- you just can’t.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH CUSTARD INSTRUCTIONS
- Cut the neck and the bottom off of a butternut squash and then use a knife to peel the skin off.
- Once all of the skin is removed, slice squash down middle and remove all of the seeds and fibers from the center of the squash then cut into 1 inch chunks
- Steam squash in a steamer for about 10 minutes or until very soft
- Purée 3 cups of squash with 1 cup of silken tofu, 3 tbsp earth balance butter, ¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg , heavy pinch of salt, and heavy pinch of pepper in the bowl of a food processor.
- Chill and allow to set for at least an hour
- Sautee diced ciopollinis in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat- and do not disturb for at least five minutes. We want to allow them to get soft and golden and then flip over and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the diced mushrooms plus ¼ cup mushroom broth, ¼ cup vermouth, pinch of salt and 3-4 sage leaves roughly chopped. Cook until all liquid is absorbed and the mushrooms are very fragrant- about 25 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over high heat add ¼ cup mushroom broth, ¼ cup vermouth, 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 7 sage leaves (roughly chopped), and a pinch of salt, and reduce by half.
- Mix 1 tbsp flour with with a bit of warm water in a small bowl and whisk to remove any lumps
- Add 1 tbsp Earth Balance to reduction and whisk in as it melts. Then whisk in the flour and water mixture and allow to thicken for a minute or two.
- Add the sage & maple gravy to the mushroom mixture and toss to coat.
BLIND BAKING & TART MAKING INSTRUCTIONS
- note, you will not blind bake the tart if you are making a galette.
- Remove from freezer and dock your pie crust by piercing all over with a fork to create holes for air to escape. This prevents bubbles.
- Place parchment paper inside dough and fill to the ABSOLUTE TOP with pie weights, rice, or dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes in preheated 400º oven then remove weights and parchment paper.
- Cool tart for 20 minutes and lower oven temp to 350º
- Fill blind-baked tart shell ¾ full of butternut squash custard, top with mushroom mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes
- During the last five minutes, melt 1 tbsp vegan butter and 1 tsp maple syrup in a small saucepan
Place sage leaves at center of tart for color
- Brush butter mixture over entire tart making sure to get edges of pastry
- Cook for 5 more minutes and remove when edges begin to get a golden brown color