Last year I went on a trip to Pensylvania and documented my experience traveling with CBD. At the time traveling with CBD was kind of a gray area, the TSA website didn’t specifically have any information about CBD products. It mentioned marijuana being an illegal substance that you could NOT travel with but zero mention of hemp-based products. At the time the two were often still considered the same thing which could turn into a sticky situation while traveling. With my planning and advanced documentation, I didn’t have any problems but others have blogged about having their products taken away or being hassled in other ways.
The really great thing is that the Farm Bill of 2018 has changed a lot of things for the hemp industry. One of which is the wording on the TSA website which basically states that products that are of the legal limit of 0.3% or less of THC are welcome on planes! It is however still listed under the “medical marijuana” section.
While this is definitely really exciting news it’s important to point out that the way the TSA words the section leaves for some issues if products aren’t properly labeled so we’ve put together some tips for traveling with CBD to make sure you make it free and clear through security happily and safely.
CBD Traveling Tips
- Always keep your products in their original packaging for travel.
- Print out a copy of your lap results and rubber band them to the package so there’s no question as to what your product contains (you can find your lab results here.)
- Have your products easy to find on the top of your bag so they’re easy to see and find.
- Put all tinctures inside a plastic bag and be sure if it’s in a carry on that it’s with the liquids you remove at security.
- If you are traveling out of the country be sure to check with the laws of the country you’re traveling into so there are no surprises at customs.
- DO NOT use your vape products on the plane. This is illegal and the same as smoking tobacco products on the plane.
That’s it! Happy traveling PHB Family! We’re so excited that TSA is finally catching up with the times and people are now making traveling with your CBD products more stress-free!