Horchata screams summer to me. Delicious, creamy, sweet and spicy. It’s tasty and refreshing. While I’ve made it in the past I wanted to take a CBD twist to it and amplify it! I was not disappointed and my taste buds are still thanking me!
I got my base recipe from one of our favorite blogs The Minimalist Baker: https://minimalistbaker.com/date-sweetened-horchata/
Soak Time: 2 Hours
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 6 cups water (divided)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk (or sub light coconut or rice milk)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup pitted medjool or deglet noor dates (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole cinnamon stick*
- 3-6 droppers of Pure Hemp Botanicals Tincture of choice.
- Soak rice in 2 cups very hot (not boiling water) for 2 hours (amount as original recipe is written // use 1/3 of the total water if altering batch size). The rice should be soft but still very raw – you should be able to snap a piece in half with your fingernail without much effort. Drain and add to a blender.
- Add 4 cups water (amount as original recipe is written // use 2/3 of the total water if altering batch size), dates, vanilla, and the cinnamon stick, top with lid and cover with a towel to ensure it doesn’t splash. Blend for about 1 minute until the date specks are very small and the mixture seems well combined. It doesn’t have to be 100% pulverized.
- Scoop out a small sample with a spoon to test sweetness. If it’s not sweet enough, add more dates (or honey if not vegan).
- In two batches, pour the mixture over a bowl or pitcher covered with cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, very thin towel, or a clean t-shirt or clean pair of panty hose (a tip I learned from My New Roots). I wrapped a rubberband around my bowl to ensure it didn’t come loose, but this isn’t necessary.
- Strain the mixture until only pulp remains in the cloth, squeezing to get every last drop out. It will take a little effort depending on how pulverized your pulp is. Rinse out cloth and set aside for washing.
- Next, stir in the Pure Hemp Botanicals Tincture and almond milk (optional), whisk and transfer to mason jars or a large beverage container with a lid. Chill and serve over ice. Will keep in the fridge for several days.
*You can sub 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon for the 1 cinnamon stick.
*Mix well before you serve once it has sat for a while. This will redistribute the CBD throughout.